Friday, July 27, 2007

You know, sometimes I don't think Mr. Squirrel realizes how close I am to finishing the dissertation, and (therefore) how frustrating my (apparent?) phobia of working on it is.

He wanted me to try golfing today, and I said "no, I think I'll try to push through chapter one and send it off to [volunteer editor]."

He laughed in disbelief, and shook his head.

Oh, thanks! That attitude is sure to help. No fucking wonder I have issues about this thing.

ETA: okay, fixed several issues. Only spent about 1/2 hour working, so far, but it's FAR better than not touching the thing. I even wrote about a page.

Have picked the next "issue" and pulled it out into a separate document. That way, I don't have to freak out about what to work on next time: it's one page, with two things to expand on. That's a good idea, right?

5 comments:

Artistic Soul said...

Are you close to finishing?? It always sounds like you get started and then get two steps behind because of the drama from your committee?

Artistic Soul said...

(oh yeah, in case you missed it, this is wiccachicky...new blogger handle)

Margie said...

Well, the thing is... I do have a lot written. The first two (of four) chapters are done, although ch. 2 is rough. They've been sent off, already. Chapter three is about 1/2 done, and chapter four, 3/4.

What the drama does is stop me from continuing to work. I've come to the conclusion that I need to write the fucker and deal with the drama later, but it just saps my interest in the writing anyway.

Margie said...

BTW, I've been wondering who you are! I followed you to the new blog, but the link here is to a different one. :)

Artistic Soul said...

Yeah, I started my art stuff there because the picture hosting is better. I might move back to blogger and ditch LJ. Not sure yet...

Anyway, I know about the sapping the energy thing. What works for me is to just start with minor stuff - like fixing the bibliography or something so I start working and then I usually get into it as I force myself to.