Thursday, July 26, 2007

Day Sixteen: Berlin

Across the street from where my parents met is the "Hunger Rake," aka the Memorial to the Berlin Airlift. My mother was a flight attendant, which explains why they met at the bar closest to the only working airport at the time.


Apparently, the other "half" of the rake - forming an imaginary arch, eh? - is at the Frankfurt airport, where the planes left from.

The yellowish building in the background of the photo used to house the club where my parents met. Before that - yes, this is odd - it was Hermann Göring's air ministry building. 'Tis now the main German finance building, or something.

ETA: Once again, I couldn't post the best picture of the day as it was impossible to blur out my face. After finding the hunger rake (which wasn't terribly difficult), it was well past lunch time. We ended up here:

Yes, it's the House of 100 Beers. The other photo taken here is just classic.

No comments: