Sunday, August 19, 2007

I think that maybe, if I don't get a full-time job this time around, I may need to pursue other things for awhile. It's not the best time to draw that line - I'll probably be more marketable next year - but I've reached the point where I might need to get out.

I don't know what else I'm qualified to do, or if I really want to leave academia... and certainly I can't imagine pulling the normal 8 to 5 job. But there have to be options, right?

It's not the dissertation, because I fully plan to finish that, whether or not I stay. It's the lack of full-time jobs in the field: even contract positions are few and far between, and TT jobs seem nigh impossible. I don't think I can keep teaching 5 courses at 3 schools (for very little money, with no benefits) and stay sane.

Part of this train of thought is surely from coming off two summer courses and feeling I've had no break. Plus, it's not even going to hit 70 degrees today, and I'm just not ready for fall and winter yet... (please tell me that summer weather will return for awhile. Please?)

I don't doubt that I'll get everything prepared by next Monday - of course I will - but as I look at my half-finished syllabi, I want to cry. Or go back to bed and stay there.

Mr. Squirrel has brought up the notion of going full-on hermit this semester. In other words, both of us would do nothing but work (classes, but more importantly, dissertation) until things are just. finally. done. I'm tempted by that as well, although I don't think I can commit to a full three months of it... maybe one month at a time?

Then, if nothing came about on the job market this year, I could go find a full-time job elsewhere, knowing that I had, in fact, finished the degree (even if I don't "use" it). I think my degrees would be welcomed at some types of non-profit organizations, which is what I would be most interested in, anyway.

Is this just beginning-of-semester blues?

6 comments:

comebacknikki said...

If you do take a break from academia, I'm sure you won't have that hard of a time finding another job. From my own experience, I can definitely say there are many non-profit jobs out there you could work for. I spent almost five years working the NP circuit while looking for a teaching position (and teaching a class or two per semester to keep my CV current). Also, all of the NPs I've worked for have been education-related, which look good on the CV.

As far as academic jobs - are you looking for a t-t, 4 year college position or are you open to a non-t-t position at a community or technical college?

Margie said...

It's good to hear that the non profit idea would be doable, from someone who has done it. :) I looked around a bit today, online, and found several that looked interesting.

I'm pretty open, academic-job-wise. At this point I don't care if it's TT or not, and I've been keeping an eye on some community college boards, too. The CC's seem to be hiring less and less, though, and filling openings with adjuncts instead of hiring f/t professors.

Artistic Soul said...

Sometimes I wish I knew which field you were in -- then I feel I'd be of more help! Finishing the diss is key -- and I would bet that most of the problems you have finding positions result from this one thing. If you're applying for restricted positions farther away, people aren't looking at your app because they will have to pay the relocation expenses and they probably have people in the pool that are closer. If you're applying TT, they aren't looking at you because you're not done. Very very few public schools can get away with hiring ABD these days because it's just too risky - if the ABD doesn't finish, the lines are taken back. Our department had that happen last year even though we were told it wouldn't be held against us if the person didn't finish - she didn't, and then she left for another job overseas and we were not allowed to refill the position.

Margie said...

Oh my. I did not know that about the lines being rescinded, but it makes complete sense. This is, I assume, why it's okay to go into an interview with a letter from the diss. advisor saying "it's done, and there's a defense date" instead of a vague statement about nearing completion.

My mentor (not my advisor) is *pushing* me to finish... I have a feeling there is a specific reason for that.

Artistic Soul said...

Yes, a strong letter with a scheduled defense date should suffice to get your through a first round of review...but in the last two searches I was in, there were plenty of PhDs who were finished, and unless we really wanted to risk it, we didn't consider anyone who was ABD...even if they had a date scheduled. So, I guess my advice is get done!! lol. :)

Margie said...

K. Am finishing dissertation now. (Not kidding.)