Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Today I started revising chapter one. I live in fear of revising chapter two, but it won't happen for at least another month and this chapter is in decent shape.

Current issues:
  • I've come to realize that what I had going in my rough of chapter three is really more development for chapter one. This is good in terms of expanding chapter one, but not so good in terms of where chapter three is at. Note, however, that this is why I'm returning to one & two (because I had no idea, anymore, what I'd said in them).
  • I may well have to abandon my current "ethical" method of research. Yes, I've been struggling with this for two years, and yes, it's essentially what is holding up the whole dissertation. I'm really ambivalent about the stance I've taken on this, and at times it all seems rather silly to me. Neither of my advisers wants to advise on this, which leaves me sad and lonely. Seriously: if it were being published I would be more concerned about the anonymity issues... but it's going to be in the dissertation cage in the library, FFS.

3 comments:

luckybuzz said...

Hmmmm--I'm really interested in your second point here. We should talk about this. Your outside advisor won't advise on this? That's weird....

But about that last thing...You're not planning on publishing it? Or planning on publishing but revising these issues away? :)

Margie said...

Well, I've asked several times about the issue and basically had a "whatever you decide" kind of answer.

Yes on the "revising those issues away," when I get to publishing it... right now, it just needs to get done!

Artistic Soul said...

Hmmm...without more specific info it's hard for me to say. There are some subjects where anonymity is difficult to promise, and others where its par for the course.