Wednesday, April 11, 2007

No, it's not Monday, but...

Started posting yesterday about the "last day of my mini-break" and just couldn't finish it. Right now, I should be leaving for office hours, but I can't seem to.

Last night, Sasha and I were talking about the mini-break (which he hasn't really had, as one of his schools had classes) and how it's pretty horrible for adjuncts to go the full semester with no down time. My idea was to be more aware when doing our schedules, and assign a couple "research days" when necessary to make breaks match up. His response was "I just need to stop teaching six classes every semester."

Well, yes.

Next semester will be my first time teaching five classes - I usually teach four - and I'm nervous about it. Yet, Sasha usually teaches five or six, because he had higher bills and needed the extra money (note that I say "had" higher bills... he'll be done paying them off this November). This semester he only had five courses (four of those in the immediate area, even!) until another professor fell ill. That sixth course (an 8.30am, MWF, 45 minutes away) has been a killer for him, but he felt he needed to take it to prove his usefulness or something. Oh, and the woman who gave it up... well, despite said illness she managed to keep teaching her once-a-week, half-semester course. Odd, that.

The point of this - yes, I'm getting to a point - is that I'm not alone in feeling a bit burnt out from the adjuncting world. At least I'll get a break for two or three weeks, soon - although I need to prep a course for the first summer session that I've never taught - poor Sasha has "Maymester" as well as Summer A and B session courses. (Er, I would have taken Maymester in a heartbeat, but I didn't get my course scheduled... don't think I'm not trying!)

I often wonder if I'll be too jaded, after this, to ever enjoy teaching again. Right now I can't stand it.

1 comment:

luckybuzz said...

Eek. I have no advice, but I'm teaching a bare fraction (a minute fraction, really) of what you are, and I cannot imagine how you're doing it.

That's all. I have no tips. But I think it's no surprise you're freaking burnt.