Sunday, December 10, 2006

Wooing?

I feel as though Mr. Squirrel and I are being wooed. Not for sex (I don't think, although I'm notoriously dense about these things) but for... "couples BFF" or something.

I sorta feel like I need a shower, typing that.

This is new to me. We are not a social couple. In fact, one of the reasons we're a couple is that neither of us is overly social. A good Friday night in the Squirrel household involves cooking dinner and cuddling in front of the TV for an hour, before we run to our respective dens and pet our respective cats.

Lately, though, we've been getting lots of invitations from other couples to do stuff. Two other couples in particular, with a third lurking in the background. (I think couple #3 would really rather bond with couple #1 instead of us, but couple #1 seems uninterested in them, in that way.)

It's all rather too much like dating, for me. And we, the Squirrels, are that person that treats his/her dates like shit -- we don't call back, we're bad at returning emails, and we don't host dinners (the latter more because we don't have the space for it). Still, these couples seem to like being treated like that??

Please note: I really do like two of the couples. In a normal situation, I'd be very happy to see them on a somewhat regular basis... but for me, that means "when we bump into each other," because I suck at the social thing. I have very few people in the "friend" category, actually -- four? Not including family? And I talk to those people a couple times a year, and see them even less frequently.

1 comment:

Artistic Soul said...

Wow - you're lucky! I wish we could find couple friends. We are very bad at making couple friends - I think because partner and I have different friendship styles. I am the loyal, let's do stuff friend; he is more the, "I never feel like calling you back" friend. Thus, I tend to make a lot of friends and he does not. Problem is, I don't usually like the partners of the friends I make. Weird.