Tuesday, December 5, 2006

I have four days to make a decision about my car.

Here's the deal: I'm at the end of my lease-type-thing and have a mid-sized balloon payment to refinance. This is fine, except that my (admittedly very low) monthly payment will go up by about $100.

My other option is to use my car as a trade-in on a new car - same weird lease-type-thing - and have the low payments again for another 2-3 years before a new balloon payment comes due. One assumes (*cough*) that in 2-3 years I won't be an ABD adjunct, any longer, and will better be able to make higher car payments.

Suggestions? Honestly, I'm leaning toward keeping my car, but part of me says that's being stupid.

2 comments:

Artistic Soul said...

Hmmm...without more details, it's hard to say. Usually, you want to go with less monthly payments that will get you to owning. In my experience, the car game is a zero-sum sort of operation whereby every time you refinance you end up paying more. Best to wait it out and see if the car lasts.

Margie said...

I think that since the car is in great shape (even mileage: 16000 miles over 3 years!) I should just keep it.

Probably best to refi the darn thing to buy it. Plus, less hassle. Plus, I really like my car. ;)