Thursday, October 18, 2007

(Some semesters I don't get sick.)

Some semesters I seem to be constantly fighting off illness, and I occasionally succumb to it. On those days, whether or not I make it to class has a lot to do with how far I have to drive... if my class is down the street, I'll (usually) drag my ass in anyway. If it's an hour drive each way, I'm far more likely to cancel.

I really don't like driving long distances when I'm ill.

I assume that part of the reason full-timers seem to rarely cancel class is that they generally live closer to their campuses? Or does everyone occasionally cancel class due to illness, and I'm just not aware of it?

2 comments:

luckybuzz said...

I think the distance thing is definitely an issue. Driving when you're sick is just awful.

Here's hoping for a sickness-free semester. :)

Artistic Soul said...

It depends...I have some semesters I don't miss a single class, and others (like the current one) where I'm cancelling a lot. It depends on what is going on. My problem is that there is an assumption that since you "get summers off" that you wouldn't need any "personal days" during the semester. People can't control when they get sick or have family emergencies. I don't fault my students for them -- so why do I feel like the administration expects me to be super woman when semester's in session? *end rant now*