Monday, October 8, 2007

Damn the working draft...

I do not do drafts well.

As of Thursday I was happy with what I had done on the conference paper. And it's true: I have a great draft, here.

The problem is, I suck at adding onto drafts. I currently have four versions of the paper, and I should be working on assembling those. However, I have no patience with going through each of them to figure out what's not already common to the final draft.

This is why I should never pay attention to people who criticize my writing style. I work by writing straight through, and stopping when I hit a problem area. Everyone says "no, no, just move on to some other part" but FUCK THAT. Seriously, that's how other people work. Why do other people constantly assume that they do things "right"? Skipping ahead may work for some people, but all it does for me is create a lot of stress later.

BTW, this isn't directed at anyone in particular... it's (honestly) the advice I seem to get from everyone about writing.

I'm just really sick of people, right now.

Oh, also, the in-laws just left. That might explain part of my mood.

ETA: I also might need a backbone. It's one thing to give a different style of writing a shot (that's just being open, right?) but when it consistently doesn't work, it's probably best to stop doing it, instead of continuing to bitch about how it doesn't work.

No comments: