Thursday, November 30, 2006

Eek!

I've just been asked to replace my usual summer course offering (at Small Private College) with another course. This is fine... except that this particular course is fraught with issues and I'm a bit scared of it. I teach the 400-level version of the course at Large Private University, but it's super-specific and relates very easily to my other interests. Teaching the intro. version of the course requires a lot more general knowledge, as most intro. courses do.

Now, I've been explicitly told that I can morph it as desired, and turn it into something closer to my usual "speciality course." I don't actually want to do that -- obviously my interests will show in the texts I choose (she says, rubbing her hands together in glee!) but I don't want it to be the same course. Summer courses always seem like a good time to stretch my comfort zone: we have no official course evals during the summer at SPC, and the students are usually somewhat interested.

Teaching this course also adds nicely to my CV. This particular field is currently white-hot, and though it's likely to cool off in the near future it will still serve me well.

1 comment:

luckybuzz said...

How exciting! Have fun choosing the texts. :)