Sunday, November 26, 2006

Get off your ass!

The job search has come to a screeching halt. After nearly two months of preparing applications, sending packets out, and waiting for interviews, we're the in "wait" stage of "hurry up and..."

Sasha has an on-campus in early December. The other two schools he interviewed at will be making those (on-campus) decisions in January. None of my schools were doing pre-screening interviews, and so I haven't heard a word from any of them. I'm thinking positively and have decided that not receiving a rejection letter yet is a good thing -- it may mean that I've made it through the first round of decisions.

It's a strange time of the year. I need to put in three good weeks of dissertation-writing before going to the Other Coast for the holidays. (More about that later, as the in-laws will be staying with my family, and I'm wondering how it will go.) I have not worked on the dissertation for the last six weeks, and after meeting with my advisor last weekend I'm feeling strange about the process. She was very supportive, but in a "get off your ass" sort of way. I do, in fact, need to get off my ass, so that's not the issue.

Tomorrow, then, one single goal: organize what I have of chapter four. (I'm skipping chapter three for now, because I feel it's holding me back.) This should be about an hour of work, and will - hopefully? - help me realize that I have a good start to the chapter.

3 comments:

luckybuzz said...

Good luck with the writing! And I agree that no news may be good news. And please send any unused motivation my way, willya?

Artistic Soul said...

On job search stuff - just remember it's better not to be the round peg in the square hole. You don't want them to NOT want you, or to bring you in just because - you want it to be a good fit overall.

Margie said...

Oh, yes... I mean: oh, no. I've only applied where I 'fit' this time around. It's just good that I wasn't rejected out-of-hand by the schools for being ABD.