Thursday, February 8, 2007

Grrrr....

Yesterday I didn't do any of my hard stuff: breakfast, gym, or diss. page.

These are quite obviously my issues, although having a daily schedule is helping me keep ahead of other things (like grading and lectures). In fact, I'm so ahead right now that I have no prep or grading to do for today or tomorrow...

I leave for class at 2:30 today, and have set two major goals before that:
11:40 - noon: 20 minutes on bike
12:30 - 1 (or one page): dissertation writing at home

Baby steps, still.

Just thinking about the half hour of dissertation writing is actually making me nauseous. I'm not kidding. Obviously there's some major issue going on here that I need to work through... you'd think I hadn't written two chapters of this thing, already.

(I have some idea of what the problem is, but I don't have time to blog about it in detail. It's basically that my topic seems to have changed vastly since my proposal, and the ethnographic component is not at all what it was intended to be. I need to email my advisors and discuss this with them - that it's way more theory and way less observation - but I fear the response.)

1 comment:

Artistic Soul said...

Ok, deep breath. Here's the thing about dissertations. There are no good ones. I mean seriously. Very very few people actually use the dissertation as their magnum opus - most of us just use it as our union card. And faculty GET that. So, you've got to keep plugging along and realize that topics are always going to change too fast for you to ever write everything about them in this day and age. Write what you can and see what they say. If it's not written, they can't comment.