Thursday, June 21, 2007

Way more fun.

We had plans to go to Ireland this summer, plans that were canceled due to both time and finances. I really want to travel, though, and as my parents are currently in Romania (growl!) it's on my mind.

What I decided on - and what Mr. Squirrel has agreed to in his "I doubt it will happen" way - is a trip to South America during winter break. Peru, specifically. December in Peru is summer, although it's also rainy season... I don't mind rainy season (at all) but it does rule out one major thing (more below).

Why Peru, you ask? To be blunt, it's the least expensive trip on my list of trips and we are pretty budget-challenged; the timing is fairly good, and... well, it's Peru. It couldn't be a long trip - 2 weeks, max - but we'd be able to go from Lima to Cuzco and see quite a bit in-between.

Also:
(that should serve as the majority of the explanation.) What rainy season rules out is the 4-day Inca Trail hike: although you can still do it, it's rainy, and muddy, and not much fun. We'll have to settle for the train.

As someone who likes food, Peru is also pretty damn cool. I won't go into details about some of the regional cuisine, but I would like to eat most of it.

Peru, anyone?

2 comments:

Artistic Soul said...

I have never really thought of South America for travel -- but hope to get there at some point. If you go, you'll have to post a rating so we know whether or not it's a good deal!

Margie said...

Financially it's a great deal... and I say this knowing several people who have recently gone. I also think it would be fun to be somewhere where I can at least politely attempt the language, rather than (for example) the Czech Republic.