Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I think I've picked up a stomach bug.
This seems to happen without fail at the beginning of every semester, and I'm starting to think it's from being in the germ-filled college environment. I try to be careful, but damn it... every semester.

It's one of those things where I have no choice about cancelling class: if I didn't cancel, I'd be running out of the room every 10 minutes or so.

Have asked Mr. Squirrel to bring home Gatorade.

Since I've been stuck at home all morning, I've been thinking a lot about traveling. Seeing as I have this apparently touchy stomach, I was surprised when I made it through five weeks of travels with very few issues. (Okay, sure, there was one morning in Versailles that was iffy, but we'd been out drinking until the wee hours.) I was fairly adventurous, food-wise, meaning I tried as much "regional" food as possible and stayed away from the Americanized stuff... which means, obviously, some unpasteurized things, and some pretty raw stuff there and elsewhere, and all manner of dishes that I never quite figured out.*

No stomach issues.
Very few anxiety issues. (Er... one nasty day in Prague when I found a huge, bloody cut on my foot for no reason I could remember.)

So, I would obviously like to continue traveling. Lots. I would like to return to the following places, soon:
- Berlin
- Amsterdam
- Prague
- Sydney

I would also like to go to (in no particular order):
- Spain & Morocco
- Japan
- Egypt & Jordan

If I could pick any trip right now... I really have no idea what I'd choose.

Oh, few readers, where would you go?

7 comments:

luckybuzz said...

Owie--sorry you're not feeling well! Hope the Gatorade helps. I find that blue flavored Gatorade works well for me.

I really haven't been into traveling much...I have a lot of traveling anxiety, and very little money. If I could go anywhere right now, I would do Ireland, Scotland, and Iceland...have wanted to go to the first two for many many years, but haven't made it yet; Iceland is a new goal, and it's so freaking PRETTY! (But I don't think I could eat a lot of the food there...)

Artistic Soul said...

I love to travel, but also have stomach issues, so it's hit or miss in any given week. I would love to go back to Italy, and I wouldn't mind trying somewhere in South America or Australia.

comebacknikki said...

London is always my #1 choice b/c I absolutely love it there and want to move there. I also really want to go to Morocco, Italy, or Japan.

Margie said...

Okay, Iceland rocks. Not that I've been, but it's also high on my list. Unfortunately, it's also very, very expensive...

Margie said...

wiccachicky, I was *so* surprised that my stomach behaved. It makes me wonder (again) how much of it is based in anxiety issues... generally it doesn't seem to directly related, but the trip was eye-opening.

Margie said...

Okay, Nikki, we can randomly travel together! I try to get back to London regularly, too, because it's so... comfortable? for me.

Oh, plus that was where I figured out a basic rule of traveling for me: jet lag can be overcome by a lunch of fish & chips, and a dinner of really good Indian food. If necessary, skip the lunch.

Canada said...

Okay, I'm a month late (because I have been a bad blogger!!!). But I'm currently dying to go to either Provence (with a side trip to Paris) or Tuscany. Also, for a week (or 2) of do-nothing but veg, child-free relaxation, Sandals St Lucia (in my ideal room, which will never happen, but it has a private plunge pool on the patio)