Saturday, January 20, 2007

working

Was reading many blogs the other day, and saw someone's* goal for the new year was to treat their adjuncting like an actual job, instead of acting like it's something temporary.

It's stuck with me since I read it. Even on a visiting contract last year, I didn't feel any sense of permanance. The department was great, but space is at a premium... I was moved into a large office, but it was also where the work-study students worked.

Now I'm back adjuncting at three different schools, but if I don't find some sense of "job," I'm going to lose it. I've dragged my coffee pot into the adjunct office at one school (the close one, where I teach MWF) and I'm buying a plant, damn it. The coffee pot seemed to freak out one of the other adjuncts.

I would love to be able to leave my laptop in the office, too, but it's too risky with six people wandering in and out.

The alternative to all this is to figure out a way to re-structure my home office for more work potential... that would definitely involve another table (my desk is filled up with computer stuff) and some kind of screen.

*When I find it again, I'll link to it!!

2 comments:

comebacknikki said...

I totally understand. Although I've been adjuncting at one of my schools for almost 4 years now, I totally don't feel like I'm a part of the school. It's hard to have that sense of belonging/not thinking of it as an impermanent situation when there rarely is any permanence in being an adjunct.

Margie said...

It's an odd situation, isn't it?

I'll probably go blog more about this, as it's on my mind.