Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Why I hate everyone.

Yes, it's finals week. Yes, that means I'm getting annoying emails from the students who haven't been in class for a month, asking if they can possibly pass, and also if they can turn their final in late.

(Short answer: No. To both.)

Generally, I feel like I have reduced tolerance at this point in the semester, and not just for students.

However, I've come to a realization -- one that I think I come to every time I teach one particular class and give one particular assignment: Having students grade themselves is really damn brilliant, because most of them will not *outright* lie, when asked. Am now trying to figure out how to work that into every class, without them knowing about it beforehand.

2 comments:

luckybuzz said...

Hmm..I think I love the grading-themselves thing.

And grr, about the end of the semester. I don't even know who some of the students sending me these whiny emails ARE, since they've NEVER come to class. Uh, your chances of passing? Yeah. Not so much.

Artistic Soul said...

I hate those emails. If you can't figure it out, you are seriously not going to make it in the "real world"...