Monday, July 28, 2008

serious randomness

aka: why is all this stuff in my head?

  • While googling for images of a certain historical event, I accidentally ended up on one of those websites specializing in really horrific photos. This wasn't entirely surprising, as said historical event qualifies as "horrific," but the brief seconds of seeing some of the other images on the site might have fucked me up today. It's reminiscent of when I ran across some Daniel Pearl clips without realizing what I was about to see. Sigh.
  • I have an office. An actual office. It has a window, a mini-fridge, and even a plant and a comfy chair. Color me slightly stunned.
  • My teaching is getting better in many ways. My writing is getting worse. There's an article in the Atlantic ("Is Google Making Us Stupid?") that pretty much summarizes everything I fear.
  • When I finish teaching for the day, I will often sit and accomplish nothing. at. all. Today I managed to write up a plan for class tomorrow, and that's about it.
  • I just got a perfume called "Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream." I think I like it. I know I like the bottle far too much to ever get rid of it.
  • On Saturday I made my own bbq sauce. It turned out really well, but I'm still wondering why all of the recipes I looked at involved ketchup. Ketchup? If I'm making my own sauce, I really can start with tomato paste... or tomatoes... must research this further. I'm sure there are good recipes that I just didn't see, or that I can simply use a recipe for ketchup.
  • My cat had bladder surgery last week, to remove four stones. She has several stones in her kidneys as well, but they'd have to do a much more complicated surgery to get those. The only place that does laser surgery wouldn't call us back, so we had to go with the "real" surgery. Poor kitteh. She's doing fine, though.
  • I'm supposedly getting Mirena next month. My only lingering questions have to do with timing: it's scheduled for the beginning of my vacation week, and... well, I just don't think many days of heavy cramping is conducive to the type of vacation week I'd like. If I put it off, I'm putting it off for at least six months, because my own GYN won't do it.

4 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Ooh, ooh, I got Crawdad Dream too! (That sucker is STRONG.)

Margie said...

It is! That's not what I expected from the "fruity" scents!

Right now I have Crawdad on one wrist and Penumbra on the other...

comebacknikki said...

Oooh, I think there's a new scent I need to try now! :)

Mirena: I'm definitely interested in hearing how that goes. I've been thinking about it, but I have to say that it freaks me out a little.

luckybuzz said...

Glad your kitty is okay.

You're bringing BPAL in November, right? :)